It seems that Mill Hall was a separate settlement or hamlet, rivalling Aylesford in size early on. It’s variously marked as:
MYLHALL in Saxton’s 1575 map
MYLHOLE Symondson 1596
no mention in Parker 1719
MILL HALE in Hasted 1778
MILL HALL in Mudge 1801
MILL HALL (I think, just off the small section of map given) in Greenwood 1821
A place with a long and ancient history…!
This mill was marked on a map of 1684, it was a paper mill at that time. In 1695 Edward Middleton was working the mill, which then had a rateable value of £20. He was at the mill until 1724 when William Harris took it over. William Harris died in 1741 and his widow ran the mill until 1744 when Thomas Harris took it over. He was still at the mill in 1763 when he insured the mill for £100. in 1776 Thomas Golding insured the mill. He was still at the mill in 1803 but by 1812 his son Stephen Golding was recorded as a master paper maker of Ditton when he married. There was a partnership between Thomas Golding and his sons Stephen and Thomas jr which was dissolved in 1816. The artist Jean Claude Natteas (1785–1822) sketched the mill in 1816.
In 1832, Robert Tassell took over the mill and it ceased to make paper by 1841. In 1841, Stephen Spratt was recorded as the occupier of the mill, by then a corn mill. he was at the mill until at least 1862. In the 1871 census the miller was Henry Stonham who lived there with his wife Rebecca and brother Charles, also a miller. However, in the 1881 census brother Charles is shown as the miller living there with his wife and family. In 1878 the owner is still Charles Stoham and sons. A steam engine was recorded at the mill in 1887, but had gone by 1890, when Walter Skinner was the miller, still there in 1895. Henry Packham was the last miller, there at least 1905-13, but the mill had stopped working by 1922. The machinery was removed and the building converted into stables by A E Reed & Co. Ltd. the mill was demolished c.1950 but the waterwheel survived until 1969.
The mill was of three storeys, the base being of ragstone and the upper storeys of timber, clad in tarred weatherboarding. The overshot waterwheel was 14 feet (4.27 m) diameter and 6 feet (1.83 m) wide, mounted on a 9 inches (230 mm) square iron axle, driving an iron pit wheel. The iron pentrough was dated 1887. The final remains of Mill Hall Mill were demolished to make way for the foundations of a footbridge over the M20.
The area is now a light industrial estate.
Two listed buildings in Millhall
5 Millhall, Aylesford, Kent ME20 7JN is a Grade II listed building, Cottage, formerly for level-crossing keeper. Circa 1855. Random dressed stone with ashlar dressings and quoins. Plain and fish-scale tiled roofs with tall stone stacks and projecting breasts to right and to rear, the latter painted with each set diagonally. Gables with parapets and kneelers; ridge crestings.
L-shaped in plan with gabled projection to right of front. 1½ storeys; 2-bay front with one window on ground floor, and 1 window on 1st floor under gable to right. 2-light mullioned windows with hexagonal lozenge lattice iron casements.
Entrance to right under gable; boarded door in arched surround with gabled and barge-boarded hood on brackets over.
60, Millhall, Aylesford, Kent House. Mid-C18. Red and blue brick with plinth and band. Parapet with band
below and stone coping. Plain tiled roof with coped gable parapets and stacks, and 2 dormers. 2 storeys and attics; regular 5-bay front, with cills and windows boarded at time of re-survey. Central entrance with late C18 wooden surround and flat cornice hood on volute brackets. 2-storey wings to rear.
More will be added as information surfaces, a visit to Kent Archives is on my list.
Source: Kent Archives