There was a Church on this site in Saxon times and certainly one here in AD945. Parts of the present Church date from the 11th century.
The original church for the whole parish. Larkfield church was a chapel of ease with just a curate till 1949 – when Larkfield became a separate Anglican parish.
St James is an old and beautiful building with towers and clock and is the work of many generations from the Normans onwards, probably reaching its present general form by the middle of the 14th century.
The roof is 14-15th Century and was completely overhauled and made good in 1953, although a considerable amount of the original timber remains. Most of the beams were from old ships. In the late 14th Century the pitch roof was removed and the walls raised and pierced for the Clerestory windows.
It contains brasses to Thomas Selby and Richard Adams who lived nearby at Bradbourne House.The footpath through the churchyard leads leads in a continuous route to Maidstone with an early branch to the north going to St Peters Church, Ditton.
For Genealogy please click here
The Churchyard Layout can be found here