In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson’s Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Larkfield like this:
LARKFIELD, a hamlet and a hundred in Kent. The hamlet is in West Malling parish; lies 4 miles NW of Maidstone; and has a post-office under Maidstone.—The hundred is in the lathe of Aylesford; and contains the two Malling parishes, and twelve other parishes. Acres, 22,017. Pop. in 1851,7,212. Houses, 1,33 4.