The Larkfield Historical Society

Where memories are recalled

Tag: New Hythe

Ferry Inn, New Hythe

aka Ferry House in 1874 & 1882   Landlords Aug 1868 William Wilmore 1868-1874 Richard Hutson 1881-1882 James William Wilson Victualler and wife Eliza Wilson 1891 J M Luck 1901-1903 Henry Thos Ballard Licensed Victualler and wife Eliza Ann Ballard 1913-1930 William Leonard Castle

The Bull Inn, New Hythe

Moved from London Road, Larkfield, The Bull Inn was a typical 3 or 4 bar working pub at the bottom of New Hythe Lane on the LHS. Believed was sold off by Whitbreads about 1990. Had a lovely Victorian back fitting with etched mirrors. In its heyday probably a “good” pub especially at the shift […]

An extract from The Kent Village Book by Alan Bignell

AYLESFORD The most casual visitor to Aylesford can see at once that it is old. It is, in fact, said to be one of the oldest continually occupied sites in England The Royal Manor of Aylesford was first owned by William the Conqueror and the church of St Peter and St Paul is of Norman […]

Our Listed Buildings

What is a Listed building? In England there are approximately 376,099 listed building entries (as of March 2015). The total number of listed buildings is not known, as one single entry can sometimes cover a number of individual units, such as a listed terrace of houses. The total is thought to be around 500,000.   […]

The chapel of St John, at New Hythe.

St John’s chapel stood midway between the railway line and the river Medway, but perhaps 15 to 20 yards to the south of New Hythe Lane. Apart from knowing that it was built, possibly in the first quarter, in the thirteenth century, little can be discovered about its very early history. The first direct reference […]

Church Farm Project

Introduction These notes gives a brief history of Church Farm and the Parish Council’s plans for the conversion of the existing buildings and use of the land adjoining this former farmyard which it now owns as open space. It is a very brief account and the Parish Council intends to carry out fuller research so […]

Church Farm History

Church Farm formed part of the ”Larkfield Estate” established at the end of the 19th Century by Samuel Lee-Smith He lived in ”Larkfield Hall” a ragstone Victorian house roughly opposite Larkfield Fire Station. The ragstone wall still marks the boundary, with the remains of the two access points were the wall goes in. Lee -Smith […]

Borough Court

A manor house, Borough Court (also known as Brooke Court), stood in the northernmost part of the parish; though it no longer exists it probably stood in the vicinity of the modern Aylesford Newsprint site. The Culpepper family of Aylesford owned the house during the reign of King Edward III (1327–1377). The High Sheriff of […]

© The Larkfield Historical Society 2015-2018